Weight Loss Sugar and Exercise
Weight Loss and Sugar? Sugar clearly plays a role in many common disease processes that can cause weight gain. The most destructive of course being Diabetes. Diet plays a part, however important it is, having a healthy diet is not enough! What happens when we eat sugar?
- Sugar enters the blood stream from foods such as soda, pie, carbs, chips, ice cream, bread, rice, etc
- The pancreas produces a significant amount of insulin to shunt the glucose into cells and out of the blood stream
- Over time, the repeated floods of glucose into your bloodstream causes your cells to become resistant to the effects of insulin, which makes the pancreas produce more and more of the hormone
- Eventually the pancreas and your body pays the price
- Prediabetes becomes a pattern which can lead to diabetes
Managing your diet is only one of the many needed ways to control glucose. A large study in Finland demonstrated that regular exercise can lower the risk of diabetes up to 70%, compared to the group that did not exercise in the study. There is a growing body of research based evidence demonstrating that interval training causes better glucose regulation than cardio training. The reason for this is because the many contractions required during interval training, cause the muscles to burn carbohydrates at a higher rate. The muscles become much more sensitive to insulin as the body replenishes cells with glucose. Resistance training is also great for controlling blood sugar and it creates more muscle tissue as well as insulin receptors, which contributes to the healthy exchange of glucose between cells.
Afterall – you want the glucose to be in your blood rather than converting it into fat!
Dr. Hoffman recommends that your think of exercise much like a prescription drug – you want a consistent dose of exercise hitting your body’s system each and every day. Remember your life is at stake!
To learn more about Dr. Hoffman’s weight loss programs click here, or call 707-292-8882.
Dr. Hoffman specializes in integrative medicine and helps his patients improve their health and lose weight. If you live in the Santa Rosa area, or in nearby neighborhoods such as healdsburg, sebastopol, sonoma, rohnert park, or petaluma you can contact Dr. Hoffman at the offices of TRU HEALTH MEDICINE in Santa Rosa.